Great Canadian Shoreline Cleanup Update

Well,  I went down to Mitchell Island, to where the beaver pond, uhm, was.  The entire west tip of the island, where there was accessible shoreline and a smidgen of nature still left is cordoned off for new construction that is underway.

It was pretty depressing being there.  Joni Mitchell’s song Big Yellow Taxi kept playing in my mind  (If irony can be profound, then that was profoundly ironic to me – Joni Mitchell/Mitchell Island).  Anyway, I’m sure you know the song…They paved paradise and put up a parking lot.  Not that Mitchell Island is a paradise –  it is the polar opposite, frankly.  All the more reason to cherish a little beaver pond and the flora and fauna surrounding it.  Of the two remaining parks on the island, one has a shoreline which is inaccessible and the other wasn’t appropriate at all for our purposes.

I have contacted the Great Canadian Shoreline folks to share this information with them and to discuss a new location with them.  As soon as I have our new location, I will let everyone know.  The date and time will remain the same:  Thursday the 22nd from 1-3 p.m.