Start of Classes and Individual Photos

I hope everyone is ready and excited to start classes, see familiar friends, and make new friends!  For my part, we are ready to roll! The first day of class for the Primaries (K-2’s) will be on Wednesday, September 21, 9:00 – 3:00 p.m. For the Intermediates (Grades 3-7’s), the first day of class will be on Thursday, September 22nd, 9:00 – 3:00 p.m.

For the Primaries Only:  Parents/Guardians are welcome to stay until recess on the first day (Sept. 21), if you wish, to help your child transition to the classroom environment.  From 9-9:30 I will have book baskets around the classroom so parents and children can read together, and from 9:30-10:00, I will have limited centers open for parents and children to explore together.  I expect that some parents will stay and many will not, so children without parents will be as happy and engaged as those who have their parents with them.  

This term, I am trying something new – “Noisy Reading” from 9-9:30 for the Primaries only, so the day can be eased into a bit more gently.  The intention is not for families to come in for a 9:30 start, but to come on time: (8:55 a.m. is the entry bell), so that everyone can hear the announcements together and ease into the day.  If “Noisy Reading” doesn’t work out the way I envision it, then we will go back to a more “mainstream” 9:00 a.m. start to each day.

For All Students:  We will be doing lots of outdoor learning this term – rain or shine – so make sure your child has rain gear and boots with them on program days.

Individual Photos: Individual photos for all students will be on Monday, September 26th.  For Home Learners, our photos will be taken between 10:50 a.m. and 11:20 a.m. ONLY.  Photos are taken by class, so families cannot just drop in and expect to have their photos taken.  Individual photos are used for students’ school library cards, so it is important everyone comes to the session.  If families are interested in ordering individual photos later, they can, but there is absolutely no obligation.  For our regularly attending M/W students, I will ensure students photos are taken, for T/TH students, please come during the time allotted to us, and proceed directly to the basement Intermediate lunch area.

Finally, For Intermediate Students, please bring the following supplies for the dates indicated for our Outdoor Learning and for our Inventors Workshop programs:

Thursday, September 22nd:  A plastic garbage bag and one or two sections of a newspaper.

Thursday, September 29th:  One baking potato.

Thursday, October 6:  bag of junk (clean, empty food containers, lids, packaging, boxes, nuts, bolts, screws, etc. old hardware, etc.)

Thursday, October 20:  discarded “devices”  e.g.:  old radios, cassette players, toasters, etc.

Thursday, November 24th:  Clean, 2 litre juice or milk cartons.

Thursday, December 1:  Shoe box(es)

Thank you!!